Thursday 21 December 2006

Not in Kansas Anymore Toto

The cold grey sky and chilly air quickly convinced me that I should spend as much time as possible indoors. To facilitate this goal, I went shopping for hand weights so that I will at least be able to amuse myself picking up heavy things and putting them back down again.

I went to a sports goods store, like Rebel ... or Paul's Warehouse back home. Just inside the door I had one of those moments where I realised that although Americans look like us and talk like us (kind of), this really is a different country. It's hunting season, so the guns (but not the hand weights or aerobics steps) are on sale.


I was particularly impressed by a woman at the counter. I couldn't hear what they were saying but I like to conjecture about it:

Woman: "Gimme a discount!"

Assistant: "Steady on there Ma'am, let's not do anything hasty"

No comments: