Friday 25 May 2007

Yosemite Waterfalls

Those of you who remember my first visit to Yosemite last winter may remember that it was covered with snow at the time. Now that summer is nearly upon us, the snow is melting and pouring from the mountains in an impressive collection of waterfalls.







It was quiet and it was beautiful. I wanted to sit here all day in the warm sun and listen to the river burble over the rocks. I wanted to drag my fingers through the water and compose bad poetry for weeks.



Unfortunately, when I did decide to roll up my cuffs and wade calf deep into the river for this photograph, I was abruptly reminded that this water was snow very recently. My ankles went into hypothermic shock and I had to press my feet against a hot rock for several minutes before I regained sensation in my toes. This is water best admired from the banks.


But the admiration comes easily.

No comments: