Sunday 9 September 2007

Iowa State Fair - Art

One of the major lures of the Iowa State Fair was the promise of seeing the famous butter cow. Every year a life sized cow is carved out of butter and installed in a refrigerated display cabinet for the enjoyment of the fair-goers.



Not only was the butter cow a pretty cool attraction, but it was accompanied by a butter Harry Potter.



Even a butter Hedwig.



Right down to the butter golden snitch!



There were also a number of art and craft exhibits in the Cultural Centre. This huge sand sculpture dominated the main entrance. Local talent was on display in several categories in a large, hot building. My new friend Sara had an art work in the show. Sticks, the company that both she and Debbie work for, had at least one piece on display as well.

Art at the Iowa State Fair isn't just a matter for the professionals and the talented amateurs. Even artistically challenged people like me can have a go.



Here is one of my Spin Art creations. For $1 the punter gets a piece of cardboard attached to a machine that spins it rapidly in a circle, and access to squeeze bottles of non-toxic paint in primary colours. You can squirt and then spin, or squirt while spinning to create original smudges and streaks of colour.



It's a lot of fun, for adults as well as children. I was enjoying myself so much that I didn't even notice when I smeared bright blue paint all up the side of my left arm. That's entertainment.

No comments: