Thursday 27 September 2007

Yellowstone National Park - critters

So far, all of my National Park visits have involved at least one encounter with the local wildlife. Usually, as loyal readers will know, I pause to take photographs and, if the critters are particularly cute and furry, I’ll hang around in the hope that they’ll do something particularly blogworthy like begging for tips, or eating an oreo.

In Yellowstone National Park I broke with tradition and didn’t take any pictures of the bison or elk that were roaming around the road. Having only too recently experienced the Cream Puff's runaway animal magnetism, I wasn’t going to risk exposing its recent nose job to any possibility of contact with any animal that was in a higher weight class than the car.

Instead, I slowed to Bison Speed (approximately equivalent to Bambi Speed, which is almost, but not quite, as fast as I could push the car) and rode the adrenalin high. Actually, the chemical rush might have been caused by the smell of ripe bison that wafted in through the sun roof. These guys smell so bad that I later avoided getting too close to the tiny fluffy toy bison on sale in the souvenir store, just in case.

No comments: