Sunday 11 November 2007

Las Vegas Lost

Upon Leaving Las Vegas early in the morning I had time to reflect on all the things I hadn't seen while I was there. There were at least a couple of compulsory Las Vegas experiences that had not made it onto my agenda.

I hadn't, for example, taken the opportunity to visit the Little White Chapel's drive up wedding window. Now I will never know if the celebrant says "You may kiss the bride. Would you like fries with that?"

I also didn't visit the Graceland Chapel, which offers just some of the many Elvis weddings available in Las Vegas. That's something I'll probably never again have the opportunity to do. Now that I think about it, I only saw one Elvis the whole time I was there. He was standing next to Marilyn Monroe on the pedestrian footbridge near Caesar's Palace. Possibly Las Vegas is the reason that 13 percent of Americans believe that Elvis is still alive. They go to The Strip, get really drunk, see Elvis and become subconsciously convinced that he's still around.

I didn't see a Las Vegas Cirque du Soleil show. Okay, so I've seen a few Cirque shows in Sydney, but they do seem to have colonised The Strip in an extraordinary way. I counted no fewer than five different offerings available at various different glamorous venues.

The biggest oversight of all, naturally, is that I didn't place a single bet. It hardly seems fair to say I've been there.

No comments: