Thursday 15 November 2007

Big ditch, big dreams

After I'd rattled the dust puff back along the endless dirt road away from Grand Canyon West, being back on a sealed surface felt like flying as I headed back towards civilisation. I had slowed to the requisite crawl to pass through the small town of Dolan Springs when I saw something rather odd: a man wearing a brightly coloured shirt and a large black and white jester's hat was cavorting by the side of the road, jumping up and down and waving his arms. What could this be about?

I decided that he was probably harmless. It would be an unusual axe murderer who made such a blatant display. So I pulled over to investigate.

It turns out he's a lovely fellow who was trying to draw attention to the grand opening of his new store. I was their first customer.


It's a funky little place, run by two friendly fellow travellers who have decided to settle here and open a store. Why not?

I bought two things. The first was an orange handbag for my Ant Candy, who loves everything orange. I explained to my new friends that my awesome and outrageous Ant Candy was really the first benefactor of their store and that I would deliver her purchase when I eventually pass through Denton, Texas again.

The second was a beanie that looks like a cactus. Sometime when winter arrives I am confident that someone will take a picture of me wearing this ridiculous item and I will post it on the blog for everyone to enjoy.

If you're ever heading for Grand Canyon West, try to stop here. The store is on the left just after you turn off the main road into Dolan Springs. It used to be an auto shop, so although it's been repainted, it's still a small rectangular building. Say hi for me!

No comments: