Saturday 3 February 2007

Wax on, Wax off

Killing time in San Francisco we decided to explore the wax museum. Now that I'm a veteran cruiser I was terribly excited by the first exhibit. This could have been me! If only there had been someone dangling from the front of the ship with a camera to capture my moment as Queen of the Paradise.


I liked the wax museum. I found the historical displays interesting and educational, athough I was more than a little baffled by some of the decisions the curators made about the juxtaposition of the figures from the entertainment world. Eminem and Shirley Temple side by side. I kept expecting him to come to life, call her "li'l bitch" and slip her a packet of Marlboros.

I had a sudden pang of homesickness at the Wizard of Oz display. "There's no place like home. There's no place like home."

"And you, Scarecrow, I'll miss most of all."

In the chamber of horrors we came across my favourite exhibit ... the electric chair. It certainly gives one hell of a shock, as you can see from Patricia's experience below.

The shock apparently didn't have quite the same effect on me. History has recorded two enigmatic smiles that have caused onlookers to puzzle over the question "What is she thinking?"

This is the other one.



No comments: