Sunday 29 April 2007

Grand Canyon - Hotel

Despite the white water rapids of the Colorado River roaring through the middle, the Grand Canyon is quite plainly located in a desert. In keeping with its environs, the hotel where we stayed last night makes extensive use of reclaimed water, what Australians might call grey water.

This includes a fountain in the lobby which sports a warning about the water quality.


Unfortunately the warning is a little inconsistent with the design of the fountain.


Reclaimed water is also used in some of the bathroom facilities.

At first glace, this seems like a perfectly sensible idea. However, a closer look at the text of the warning under the toilet seat did give some cause for alarm.

Obviously I can't speak for all the readers of this blog, but personally I don't need a printed warning in this situation. Under almost any circumstances I can imagine, I may be relied upon to avoid contact with the water in any toilet, even if they flush it with Evian.

Amusing signage aside, I had a very pleasant stay in this hotel and really shouldn't mock. The high point for me was the dessert I shared with Patricia in the hotel restaurant last night. It was a chocolate mousse, in a moulded white chocolate piano and it was delicious.

As well as tasting good, it was tremendous fun to eat. We started with the piano lid, which we snapped into pieces and dipped into the mousse. Then we hit a snag. The body of the piano turned out to be quite sturdy and it took repeated vigorous stabbing with a fork to break it into several largish pieces that we could messily pick up with our fingers and gnaw on. I think we did rather a good job. We even managed to avoid sending chunks of white chocolate flying across the room at fellow diners. However I suspect that all the giggling may have caused something of a disturbance.



The Chocolate Mousse Piano comes highly recommended. If ever you have the opportunity to eat a musical instrument for dessert then be sure to seize it, but make sure you're not wearing any clothes that you really like.

1 comment:

Heather Hukins said...

I have been forced, by news of my friend Robyn's personal toilet tragedy, to revise my estimate of the probability that I would willingly make contact with the water in a toilet bowl.

http://rswb.blogspot.com/2007/05/evil-heathers-prescient-post.html