Friday 27 April 2007

My Kind of Town

I'm starting to think Sedona might be my spiritual home. Not only does it boast unbelievable views from almost any angle in almost any part of town, it also has a sense of humour. Check out the bird below, soaring over one of the peaks behind the town. It's actually a clever kite attached to the rod on the left and mounted on the roof of one of the shops. The wings flap in the breeze and it looks quite convincing until the wind drops and leaves it dangling lifelessly from its string.


Sedona is both self-deprecating and a little philosophical. Check out the decorative tile we found in one of the hundred art and craft stores on the main street.


Sedona also has just enough attitude to keep delinquent youngsters in line.


I admit this sign isn't as quite as good as the one seen in a Sydney Hog's Breath Cafe: "Unattended children will be given a shot of espresso and promised a pony," but it's pretty good nevertheless.

The town also knows that it owes its tourist trade to the striking mountains of red rock that surround it, but it isn't ashamed. Far from it. Sedona uses its famous red dirt to dye its souvenir T-shirts.

Of course, it is perfectly logical that people who celebrate dirt coloured shirts would have a healthy disrespect for high fashion. I really wanted to take this little guy home.

Goodbye Sedona. I love you!

2 comments:

rswb said...

Hang on. Didn't you once decide that San Francisco was your kind of town and that you were going to buy a house and live there forever? And then, a few short posts later you decided that it was the high seas for you and you were going to spend your days as a salty sea dog person (or whatever the non-offensive equivalent is if it is indeed offensive to describe people as sea dogs)? I think I am seeing a pattern develop...

Heather Hukins said...

What can I say? I have a big heart and enough love for many towns. I just wish I could stay in all of them! Be assured, my personal connection with each new place in no way diminishes my bond with the others.