Sunday 29 April 2007

Illegal to Feed or Approach Wildlife

In the Grand Canyon National Forest there are many signs posted informing visitors that "It is illegal to feed or approach wildlife." Despite the images you are about to see, I assert that I did not violate this very proper and sensible rule. I claim innocence on three counts:

1. The squirrel approached me first
2. I didn't give the squirrel the Oreo
3. This squirrel is definitely not wild.



Patricia and I decided to make an early start on our sightseeing at the Grand Canyon. We were really glad we'd made the effort when this little squirrel came right up to us and started posing for photos. He fearlessly mingled with a group of about ten people and actually climbed part of the way up my thigh while I was kneeling to take his photograph.


If we thought he just liked the attention, we were seriously mistaken. Like Hammy, the Squirrel from Over the Hedge, this little fellow knew exactly what he wanted. He likes a cookie.


Personally, I wouldn't have given him an Oreo, or at least not a whole one. I don't know exactly what kind of food is good for squirrels, but I'm pretty confident that chocolate biscuits (cookies) are not on the approved list. Still, he was more than satisfied with his successful foraging and was happy to accept contact with humans as part of the deal.


So, you see, the photograph below should not be interpreted as evidence of a crime. The squirrel started it, and I didn't give him the Oreo.



That night I was still filled with such a warm, fuzzy feeling towards squirrelkind that I googled them and discovered a stern warning on wikipedia. Apparently you shouldn't touch squirrels because they can carry the Plague.

This has the ring of an urban myth to me. Are there really people across this continent dropping dead from the Black Death after patting friendly squirrels? Surely we would have heard about that? I choose to believe that this is just a runaway parental lie. You know the kind: "If you tell lies your nose will grow," or "If the wind changes your face will stay that way," and "Don't touch the squirrel or you'll die in agony."

Just in case, I have closely examined my left index finger and have not yet discovered any evidence of buboes. My body temperature is normal. If there's any change I'll try to make it to the computer and let you know before it's too late.

I celebrated my close encounter of the cute and cuddly kind by purchasing a Grand Canyon squirrel keyring. Now I can carry the memory with me forever, or until the Plague gets me.

1 comment:

chris condron said...

heather, that squirrell looks suspicious!! i hope you checked your wallett and jewlery, ive heard that quick nimbled hands are whats required for a good pick pocket...i wonder if he has a pouch to put it in!!
ps he does look so cute...i think you both have the same smile!! ha ha