Saturday 10 February 2007

Audience Participation

Regular readers may be feeling a little disoriented by my new-look, renovated blog. It has been suggested that the minimalist remodelling may be a reaction to being back at work and generally feeling less festive. Actually, I was just sick of the orange.

I confess I was also quietly hoping that the new look might prompt some of you into more active engagement with the blogging experience. It gets lonely here in the blogosphere sometimes. If I didn't have usage statistics I'd think that no-one was reading at all.

I've also started to feel a little inadequate since I noticed that my friend Robyn's Swiss-bashing blog includes multiple comments from her many and apparently enthusiastic friends. Where are all the comments from my friends? Where are my friends?

My competitive instincts are now on fire. Come on team! I know we can do it. I want to see all of your names up on the comments list asap. So ...

Let's get commenting!

I think we've made a strong start with a guest posting from my Dad, but I know we can do so much better. It's easy.

First pick a post that you particuarly like, or find interesting, or have an opinion about. Look at the bottom of any post and you'll see a little link that says:

"0 COMMENTS."

Theoretically it could say "5 COMMENTS" or "500 COMMENTS". Those are the kind of numbers we're aiming for team!

Click on the link.



Or it might look like this. Click on "Post a Comment".




A pop-up window will appear. If you haven't already done so, you might need to get a Blogger ID. Just follow the prompts. Then enter your witty, insightful comment in the text box.


Once you've entered your comment, scroll down to the bottom of the window and click "Publish Your Comment". You can "Preview" before posting if you want to review your comment.

Your comment will then be submitted for moderation by a higher power - me. Don't take it personally, it's actually a strategy to avoid blog spam. I don't have the power to change your comments, only to approve them, or reject them if I'm feeling tetchy.

If you need more information on how to post a comment click here.

Remember you can also comment in response to other people's comments. Ideally, we'll end up with something bordering on a conversation. This blog is for me too. I'll get out of it what you put into it.

6 comments:

rswb said...

I refuse to comment, because apparently now this has become some sort of competition re who has the most/best friends and I don't want to help make me the loser. So there.

And by the way, it's not Swiss-bashing. It's merely pointing out the entertaining things that are wrong with this nation of cheese-eating perma-neutral monkeys.

Heather Hukins said...

You may refuse to comment, but I'm not too proud to boost my own comment numbers by responding.

I certainly don't imagine that you have more or better friends. Your friends are just louder. Mine are clearly more subtle, reflective types. They may be slower out of the gate, but once they get going they're a force of nature.

Right team?

Team?

Marcus Williams said...

It would be somewhat ironic if the most active comment thread was attached to the post requesting more frequent comments.

The material in question does seem a bit bashing to me. You even blamed the poor Swiss for the image of Justice! Surely the Greeks and Romans must share some of the blame?

Unknown said...

Maybe I enjoy listening to you more than myself?
JL


PS - re Robyn's comment - I was told today that Cole ssells little cubes of cheese in wrappers that have trivia questions on them; I wonder if they are as good as Fantales?

rswb said...

Justice schmustice. If that is what that ludicrous statue represents then why don't we see judges' knees and toes in court, and why do they have gavels and wigs instead of scales and swords?

There is a certain type of boiled lolly that they have here that apparently you are supposed to throw at people during weddings here. I was at a wedding here in August and spent quite some time pelting these solid little sharp-cornered sweets at passers-by before I realised that they had sayings written on the inside of the wrappers. Can anyone tell me what nation deserves to be bashed more than one that condones lollies with sayings like "a housewife is the jewel of the home" written on them?

Marcus Williams said...

edit: links fixed.

I don't know that the image is an ideal representation of justice- I was just trying to absolve them of full responsibility. However, it seems that they really do have an odd idea of how this archetype should be displayed. Note Berner Iustitia, complete with two attendants. One seems to be taking full advantage of her blindfold to enjoy the view. I recognized him immediately.

I don't think it was appropriate to employ this miscreant in children's programming.

If King Friday the Lecherous is exemplary of the Swiss, then bash away!