Thursday 21 June 2007

Good people of Denton, Texas

Three years ago, almost to the day, I visited Denton, Texas for the first time. During that brief stay I met a number of delightful people. All of them, I thought, were unusually charming and memorable and I expected that few of them would remember me. I was overjoyed to discover that so many of them not only remembered, but seemed genuinely pleased to see me again.

The big-hearted people of Denton, Texas are easy to befriend. Rarely have I felt so embraced by a town that I passed through. Fortunately for me, the grown up stepchildren of former locals are considered to be family around here. Shaking so many hands and hugging so many new friends felt like real contact, not just the motions of social nicety.

A big virtual hug goes out to all my wonderful new friends, like Carlos who has promised to take me to a football match when I come back in October, Justin who will be a wonderful doctor, Brendon who will be wonderful no matter what he does, Misty who gave me a road atlas for my road trip, and Jacob who wouldn't let me pay for my haircut (which I love). An even bigger hug to all of the old friends who hadn't forgotten me, especially to my favourite Ant Candy, my "little" brother Levi, Don who always makes me smile, Houston who always makes me laugh, and Andy who still makes me a little weak at the knees. I can't wait to see you guys when I pass this way again. I miss you already!

No comments: