Wednesday 6 June 2007

Graduation Day

While I have been here in the USA seeking adventure, relaxation and myself, my life in Australia has continued along without me. Indeed, my life has been celebrating significant milestones in my absence, including my recent graduation.
Alas, this time, I missed the ceremony and the chance to giggle at the academic regalia. This is a shame, because the costumes become increasingly hilarious with the addition of each new honour and my gown this time would have been slightly sillier than the last two. Of course, I would still be far from the inspired absurdity of my educational superiors, but I console myself with reassurances that I too will one day wear wizard sleeves, gloves, sable, silk and a little bonnet in public.




This particular graduation was a very low key affair. The envelope arrived in the mail. I took a photograph of the degree lying on my bed. I showed a couple of people. I went on with my day. I also took the opportunity to admire my graduation present from Marcus - a heavy punching bag, stand and floor mats. The perfect gift for the happy graduate. I am confident that the punching bag will be a big help preparing for the next graduation. In a couple of years, when I'm standing at the lectern dressed like a fashion bazaar from the middle ages, at least no-one will dare to laugh.

No comments: