Tuesday 12 June 2007

Home away from Home

Some among you may be interested to see where I am staying here in the USA, when I am not wandering around other parts of the country. I am predominantly in Fresno, California.




This is the house. It's pleasant and spacious and perfectly delightful except that, like every house I've seen here, there aren't any cornices. I don't understand why I find this so disconcerting, but I do. The meeting of the walls and ceiling just seems so abrupt. If there has to be a corner, I prefer to be eased into it.



The trees attract a variety of birds and acrobatic squirrels into the yard. There are also a number of gregarious neighbourhood cats who, with the minimal encouragement of a bowl of cat food, will cheerfully volunteer for part-time pet duties.


This is my favourite. We have named her Henna. On the basis of a few minutes acquaintance she was making herself at home in the living room and jabbering away at us with a distinctive miaow that Patricia and I think is charming and Dad thinks is horrible. I think it's just sour grapes that Henna was a bit nervous sleeping in his bed that night and wanted him to stay awake and pat her. It must also be noted that, despite his threats to catapault Henna at the wall, he has been spotted refilling the cat food bowl when he thinks no-one is looking.

No comments: