Wednesday 20 June 2007

The view from the top

There is a lookout in Yosemite National Park called Glacier Point. At this time of year you can drive almost all the way to the top, past the patches of snow still clinging to these high altitudes even in the Californian summer. A short walk from the car park leads up to extraordinary views across the entire valley.



When we arrived a storm was brewing and dark cloud massed above the peaks. The sun broke through in places, illuminating random patches of the slopes.



I was taken aback by the contrasts of the weather - Armageddon above, Hobbiton below.

I was well off the path when I took this shot, but I wanted to go further. I wanted to keep scrambling down the mountain just to see what I would find. Alas, I had already gone down far enough to make myself pant at the high altitude ascent.

Half Dome, above, is one of the most distinctive landmarks of Yosemite. I solemnly swore that before I return to Australia I will make the long, hard haul to the top, pulling myself up the cables, hand over hand, to stand on that lip and look out at the treasures laid out before me like gifts on Christmas morning. I will breathe the thin sharp air and wonder at the miracle of existence. Then I will slowly make my way back down the steep granite wall, go to the Visitor's Centre and buy a shirt that says "Hell yeah, I climbed it."

No comments: