Tuesday 14 August 2007

Disaster!

Dear friends, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I have very thoroughly explored a quintessentially "Montana" experience. This is in keeping with my mission to suck the marrow out of the adventure. The bad news is that the experience was fatal. Not for me. For Bambi.

That's right. I killed Bambi. I didn't mean it. I wasn't out in the woods with a rifle. I was on a highway in a Volvo. Turns out that the latter is perhaps even more lethal than the former. As I stood by the side of the road waiting for a tow truck and watching my battered cream puff bleed coolant everywhere, no fewer than four people pulled up to tell me that the same thing had happened to them quite recently. One woman, I kid you not, said "I hit one this morning and my car looks much worse than yours."

Even the State Trooper who attended the sad occasion told me that it happens twice a day on that stretch of road. There is apparently a special crew of municipal workers whose job it is to go around the streets picking up the deer carcasses. I don't know if there's any truth to the rumour that they then make them into jerky, but it certainly seems possible.

Everyone was remarkably cavalier about this catastrophe in my otherwise non-fatal existence. The tow truck guy was cracking jokes about throwing Bambi on the back of the truck for dinner. Even the insurance company guy was pretty jovial about it. I told him the cream puff was blue and he said "Blue and red now, ha ha ha." This seemed insensitive to my complex feelings since I was simultaneously mourning the loss of Bambi's life, my road trip and the cream puff's formerly attractive nose.

To make matters worse, the State Fair is on in Missoula at the same time. So every decent hotel in town is booked out. So are most of the indecent ones. The sole remaining room, a smoking room, is so disturbing that I'm not even going to describe it. It has three redeeming features in an otherwise appalling list of unfortunate ones, like burn holes in the sheets and very strange wiring in the lights:

1. It has a bathtub (remember my knees are still black and scabby, plus I've now been on a horse for several days and hit a deer)
2. It isn't really very expensive (although still overpriced)
3. The people there are actually extremely helpful and nice (which is why I have refrained from naming the hotel).

I had planned to meet up with Ducati Kevin for a late dinner on my way through town, but I called him from the side of the road to explain why I was standing him up. He immediately turned into a Road Trip Angel and asked if I needed a ride or some kind of help or was there anything he could do? Could he, for instance, pick me up at the tow truck office and convey me to my dodgy hotel? Yes, he could do that. He could also stop off so I could get a sandwich and a drink on the way.

So, at this point in my journey I am stranded in Godknowswhere, Montana. The cream puff's fate is unknown, but I'm certainly not going to be driving it anywhere soon. The whole adventure swings perilously on the point of cancellation and all I can do is wait in my crappy hotel room until the insurance case manager rings me with further advice "guaranteed by close of business tomorrow."

The only silver lining in this very black cloud is that tomorrow Ducati Kevin and his roommate Stan are going to take me to a firing range for another authentic Montana experience. Having killed a deer with a Volvo I suppose I am now a kind of inept hunter and should therefore learn to fire a gun. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I promised myself that this road trip would be dedicated to experience. I committed to embrace every opportunity and welcome whatever the road threw my way, including Bambi, I suppose, and a Missoula firing range.

3 comments:

rswb said...

On a totally different subject, do you drink coffee? And if so, have you been drinking it at Starbucks? And if so, do you drink coffee from Starbucks in Australia?

Personally I don't like Starbucks at all, but it seems that everyone from the States is OBSESSED with it, which makes me think that no other coffee is available anywhere in their entire country.
In Aarau I am sadly tempted to go because it's one of the few cafes open on Sunday, and it has nice outdoor seating. And I hate Starbucks!

Heather Hukins said...

I do not drink coffee, or at least only very infrequently, so I am not qualified to comment on Starbucks coffee anywhere, except to point out that they have free wireless Internet which is always a good thing. I have consumed Starbucks hot chocolate while checking my email and found the experience satisfactory.

I am a little curious that a post about Bambi's untimely death and the ruthless slaughter of my road trip made you think about Starbucks.

waterman said...

Hi Heather
Seems a while ago I met you and kind of miss your bubbly personality you probably don't miss mine...
Hope you are well and are enjoying your visit It has been enjoyable to read your blog several times but thought I should leave a comment Bloody Volvo Drivers no its not the Saab although you may have come of a little worse if you were in the Saab
That narrows it down a bit doesn't it.
One should be careful of what is written as other people may be reading this HHHMMMM

all the best will add a little more as I Go