Tuesday 30 October 2007

Bryce Canyon National Park

My visit to Bryce Canyon National Park was one of those disappointing times when the weather lets me down. On a trip as long as this one it is inevitable that weather won't always be conducive to my planned activities. It was raining during my visit to Bryce Canyon. Actually, it was pouring. It's a fortunately thing that the Cream Puff is a seaworthy vessel because it was very, very wet.



Strangely, the photographs don't seem to give that impression. I'm not sure how my camera became imbued with the magical ability to change the weather, but I am slightly annoyed by it. I spend the whole day wading around in heavy rain and the camera arranges climate change so that I can't even complain convincingly about it.



The word hoodoo has more than one meaning. There is the hoodoo that refers to African traditional voodoo magic. Then there's the hoodoo that refers to a geological formation: a tall thin spire of rock. Both were in evidence in Bryce Canyon National Park. The strange weather juju of my camera, and the thousands of rock spires in the Bryce Canyon amphitheatre.



There are amazing trails that weave down among the hoodoos. I didn't walk down any of them in that rotten weather. Instead I grumbled along the lookouts with my umbrella and my camera, feeling sorry for myself.



Add Bryce Canyon to the list of places I need to come back to some day.



It's getting to be a long list.

No comments: