Tuesday 30 October 2007

Mystic Hot Springs - Monroe, Utah

My night in Monroe, Utah was memorable for more than one reason. There was the fabulous scenery of southern Utah all around, of course, but the distinctive accommodations of the Mystic Hot Springs made almost as deep an impression. This run down hippy resort was a pleasant and intriguing pause in my journey.

The office is ramshackle and cluttered, full of dogs and the smell of dogs, but the guy behind the desk was friendly and the office was open late. He showed me some trippy computer light show presentations that he was working on for a "performance" he had coming up and chatted warmly with me for a while. It's a mellow sort of vibe.

I spent the night in a cabin that was rustic, bordering on condemned, but clean and comfortable nevertheless. In the morning, I took the time to soak in the hot springs and let the heat draw out the aches of long driving. I felt much the better for it. I also met a lovely couple called Megan and Jefe, and their beautiful baby. Megan and Jefe encouraged me to visit Zion National Park in Utah, which had somehow stayed under my radar to this point. They also offered to welcome me into their home, which is even more generous. If you're ever in Springdale, Utah stop by the Spotted Dog Cafe and tell Jefe I said "hi."

It occurred to me that with a little development to clean it up, and being so close to so many natural attractions, this place could be a rocking little business. I imagined myself living in Utah, running a gentrified Mystic Hot Springs eco-resort. I imagined myself bulldozing the shower block and constructing new cabins. It wasn't difficult to picture, especially with the encouragement of a sign that said "investment needed" near reception. Let's just add this to the ever expanding list of things I've seen on this journey that I want for myself.

1 comment:

Marcus Williams said...

There is something incredibly disquieting about Cricket.