Monday 22 October 2007

Wyoming - Snowy Range Road

I consulted my National Geographic guide book when planning my route south east from Yellowstone National Park to Rocky Mountains National Park. The book assured me that the Snowy Range Road is “Easily one of the most spectacular drives in Wyoming.” Having seen some of the scenery of Wyoming in the Grand Teton National Park, I was sufficiently impressed to drive straight there.


The road is described as running from Laramie, Wyoming to Saratoga, Wyoming, although I did it in reverse, starting in Saratoga and driving through the Medicine Bow - Routt National Forest to Laramie. It is a beautiful drive that, as my guidebook promised, really made me want to get out and smell the lousewort.


This is a wildlife observation area I passed along the way. I didn’t actually see any wildlife, but it was a nice view of the mountains in the distance.


This part of the road was filled with wildflower meadows, tiny alpine lakes and high glaciated cliffs. It was my favourite part of the drive. I sat by this little lake and ate a peanut butter sandwich for my lunch. It was delicious, and so peaceful that I wanted to sit there all day, doze by the water and wait for elk, deer and moose to pass by.


I took this picture near the Libby Flats Observation Point, at the summit of a 3,306 m (10,847 foot) pass. A stone lookout commands views of a landscape dotted with these dwarf sub alpine fir trees and boulders. The guide book assured me that on clear days you can see as far south as Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. Alas, this was not such a day.

No comments: