Thursday 9 August 2007

Avenue of the Giants, California

The Avenue of the Giants is a 31 mile scenic drive in the north of California. The road is surrounded by huge redwood trees and the cool light filters through them to give a diffuse glow to the shady road. I started early, so I had the road to myself, weaving through the giant tree trunks.

I must be the only person ever to listen to Archie Roach while driving among the solemn redwoods. That parched desert voice sounded surprisingly at home in those cool corridors. He sounded like an ancient tree spirit, even when he was singing about Collingwood.


I had breakfast in the Women's Federation Grove. There is a picnic area, a small river and restrooms. I sat, eating cereal and admiring the four way chimney designed by Julia Morgan, who also designed Hearst Castle (see multiple posts in June). Birds sang, the river babbled, the wind rustled through the trees.

The Women's Federation Grove is immensely peaceful and seems somehow to come from an earlier era. The sentiments on the chimney feel olde worlde.


The water fountain adds to the effect. The inscription identifies the contributing women by their husbands' names, like Mrs John Smith. Julia Morgan, who wasn't married, had to go by her own name, poor thing.



While I was there, two State Park maintenance guys arrived. They cleaned and tidied the place up, mopped out the restrooms, swept the footpaths and generally spruced the place up a bit. I chatted to them for a while about what a nice place it is.

As I was leaving I thanked them for keeping the area so nice. They said I was very welcome and that I should tell my friends how nice it is so they will come out there as well. So, here goes folks. It's very nice there. You should go.

No comments: