Sunday 12 August 2007

Car Camping

I drove through northern Idaho on my way to Montana and East Glacier National Park. Idaho was yellow. All accommodation everywhere was booked out so, in a fit of pique, I decided not to blog any photos from Idaho. But I'm rapidly getting past my pique now so look out for them in a subsequent blog entry. I'll get there.


Instead, I offer this photograph of the river I slept beside in my car when I finally ran out of steam. This turned out to be a surprisingly comfortable and startlingly affordable accommodation strategy. A rest stop provided the necessary amenities and proximity to proper campers provided a sense of security. I woke, stretched, brushed my teeth, sat by the river for a while and resolved to make greater use of this option in future.

On way into East Glacier Village I also had the scary experience of spotting deer standing my the side of the road as if waiting to cross. I jumped on the brakes and crawled past in case the deer made any sudden moves, but it just stood there looking at me. The really weird thing is that I drove past the same spot two more times that day, about 4 hours later, then again about 45 minutes after that. The deer was still there. What was it doing? It was definitely alive. Was it hitchhiking, possibly? Very weird. As my friend Debbie said, "They're beautiful, graceful and dumb as rocks." Deer may actually rival some of the thicker Australian marsupials for stupidity, which is quite an achievement really.

No comments: