Tuesday 14 August 2007

East Glacier National Park

When you pop out the eastern side of Glacier National Park it is surprising to find that it is nothing like the western side. The eastern side is rolling cattle country and the Blackfeet Indian Reservation. The Blackfeet were traditionally fierce warriors who defended their claim over this land from rival tribes and, later, the white men. Weakened by long wars and by their diminished food supply (they had overhunted to trade hides with white men) they eventually sold Glacier National Park to the state.


The eastern side does have lakes as well, despite the yellow hillsides. This is St Mary Lake.



East Glacier Village is a tiny settlement on the outskirts of the park. There are a few accommodation options, including my structurally alarming but emotionally sound hostel, as well as some stores.

At a petrol (gas) station in East Glacier Village I heard a familiar, delightful rumble. I looked up and saw a handsome red Ducati Multistrada. The rider was wearing a handsome red Joe Rocket Jacket and, once he took off his helmet, turned out to be quite handsome himself. This is how I met Ducati Kevin. You don't see a lot of Ducatis in the USA (despite plenty of overloud cruisers) so naturally we chatted about motorcycles for a while before swapping cards and going our separate ways. "If you're ever in Missoula give me a call," he said. I was actually planning to drive through Missoula after my stay in East Glacier so I pocketed the card for future reference and went about my business. Ducati people are good people and Missoula would be a convenient stop for a meal on my way south. The synchronicity of the road was weaving its magic.

No comments: