Thursday 9 August 2007

Southern Oregon Coastline

I drove north up Highway 101 (for those who like details), along the southern coast of Oregon. I have rechristened this road the "Dead Raccoon Route." Raccoon bits littered the shoulder like kangaroo carcasses. Strangely, few of these unfortunate critters still had a head visible anywhere in the vicinity. I was baffled enough to stop and inspect one of the decapitated critters more closely. Perhaps raccoon heads are not as firmly attached as those of common antipodean road kill.

The coastline was beautiful, but the typical Californian haze quickly obscured the view at any distance. Some of the more dramatic sections of coastline reminded me of parts of Australia. Nice as it all was, I do have to say the view is much clearer in Ireland - even when it's raining.






No comments: