Tuesday 28 August 2007

Cool stuff I didn't do in the Twin Cities

With only one day to explore a place as large and vibrant and interesting as the Twin Cities, it is inevitable that I would miss out on some cool stuff. These are just two that came to my attention while I was there. No doubt there are dozens of others as well.

The first thing I really wanted and couldn't have was the Segway Magical History Tour of Minneapolis-St Paul. As soon as I saw the brochure at the museum I knew I wanted to glide around the city in one of those dorky little helmets. I rang the number on the brochure, but that day was already booked solid. I was devastated.

I later mentioned this disappointment to Ducati Kevin (who is actually a relocated Minnesotan). Not only did he know exactly what I was talking about, he totally understood the depth of my misery. "Do you watch them training before the tour?" He smiled gleefully. "It's the funniest thing you'll ever see."

Alas, I had not stuck around to laugh at tourists frightening themselves on Segways. Instead, I had gone crawling back to Thelma in the hope that she might be able to suggest an interesting substitute activity.

Thelma struck gold almost immediately. Under the "All Attractions" menu was the Museum of Questionable Medical Devices, just half a mile away on the other side of the river. What could be a more interesting attraction? This was actually better than a Segway Tour! I hit the big green "Go" button and let Thelma lead me towards my next blog entry.

Actually, where she led me was the second shining example of cool stuff I didn't do in the Twin Cities. Thelma cheerfully announced my arrival at my destination "on right," but I couldn't find any evidence of the holy grail of tourist amusement. I asked a waitress at the cafe in the building, but she knew nothing of any Museum of Questionable Medical Devices.

As you will see from their website, at which you really should take a look, the museum relocated to a new site in 2002. It seems nobody told Thelma. I cursed her teasing sat nav ways under my breath for a while before punching in my next destination. I had obviously spoken a little too loudly, however, because she immediately tried to take me onto the collapsed I-35W bridge again.

No comments: