Wednesday 1 August 2007

Cambridge, England

I was going to England for two days to catch up with my much admired thesis supervisor who is living in Cambridge at the moment. I booked a return flight on Ryanair for the amazing price of just 40 pounds sterling. Unfortunately, I later discovered why it was so cheap. After the experience of flying Ryanair, twice, I can confidently say that the tickets were overpriced. A Cambridge cabby later told me that they affectionately call it "Cryin'air." It's no special honour though; they also call Easyjet "Sleazyjet." Bargain airlines don't have much of a reputation around here.


Cambridge was, of course, absurdly beautiful.
It was also surprisingly uncongested considering the number of people moving around the middle of the city. The lack of vehicle traffic is largely due to the rule that students are not permitted to have a car within 5 miles of the city. They use bicycles instead. All over the city there are these enormous bicycle parking lots. How would you like to have to get your bike out of the middle of this lot?
There are the enormous, glamorous Colleges that you expect to find in (hushed tones) Cambridge. This is King's College. Prince Charles, among others, was a student here so it certainly tries to live up to its name.
Even the little Colleges are pretty.
History and lineage are very important here. There are coats of arms and crests all over everything - College buildings, vehicles, students, convenience stores.

The buildings and the coats of arms and the general ambiance made me think of Hogwarts quite a lot. Of course, the displays in the bookshop windows may have contributed to that. As may the fact that I finished reading the new book my first night in Cambridge (boo hoo!).
No spoilers, I promise, but it was definitely the most sad and scary book out of the series. Everywhere I looked I kept seeing children with copies of the book and I wanted to snatch it out of their hands. "No! Don't read that! Wait until you're old enough to handle it!"
There are interesting sights down every alleyway ...
... and on every corner. This round church is nothing but one big corner.
Check out the two sun dials on this clock tower. Talk about good backup procedures.


Even through a rainy window I just had to pause to pay homage to the ADC Theatre, home of the Footlights Club and launchpad for such illustrious careers as those of Hugh Laurie and Emma Thompson.
I've now kissed the Blarney Stone, and visitied the ADC Theatre. There should be an improvement in the quality of the blog any day now.

No comments: