Wednesday 8 August 2007

Road Trip USA

Having made it through the world's longest Customs and Immigration queue, been interrogated, finger printed and photographed (again), I was back on US soil. I waited several hours before embarking on my next adventure: a 5 week road trip of the northern half of the USA.


I am aware that most of my blog reading audience probably has virtually no knowledge of US geography, as did I until quite recently. Nevertheless, I shall outline my planned route so that interested parties can follow along with their fingers. Here is a vague map of the USA for those who want a rough idea where I'm going.


The journey begins in Fresno, California (CA), just south of Sacramento on the left hand side of the map. It proceeds roughly north, through Sacramento and up the coast into Oregon (OR). From about half way up the Oregon coast I kick inland to visit my cruise friends Marc and Lisa in Bend, Oregon (kind of in the middle of the state). Then north into Washington State (WA) to visit Mt St Helens. Then back to the coast, around the loop to the left of Olympia and onto an island just off Seattle (a little north-east of Olympia).


From there I will head east, through Idaho (ID) and into Montana (MT). I will visit Glacier National Park, then go south into Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks in the north west of Wyoming (WY). North east again to Bismark, North Dakota (ND). Then further east to Minnesota (MN) until I hit the great lakes. South to St Paul to pick up Dad and Patricia. South again to Des Moines, Iowa (IA) to visit the world famous (or at least locally well known) Iowa State Fair. While in the neighbourhood I will also check out the rather more famous Bridges of Madison County. East again to Chicago (IL) to drop Dad and Patricia at the airport. On through Illinois (IL), Indiana (IN) and Ohio (OH), up to Niagara Falls. Then back down to Washington D.C.


I will then turn sharply right and head back across the middle of the country. West Virginia (WV), Kentucky (KY), Missouri (MO) and Mark Twain's birthplace, Kansas (KS), then Colorado (CO). Then a few more National Parks. A visit to Utah (UT) and more outdoorsy activities. Then back across Nevada (NV) to Fresno, California for a cold drink and a good lie down.

It will certainly be a big adventure. I'll do my best to blog as I go, but I'm not sure how dependable my Internet access will be. Bear with me and check in once in a while. I'll get it all posted eventually.

No comments: