Wednesday 22 August 2007

KOA Konvert - Bismarck, ND

I know that many of my readers are unfamiliar with the KOA kulture. For some, this will be their first virtual encounter with the phenomenon. The Bismarck KOA was my first time too, and I have to report that it was good for me.


KOA Kampgrounds cater for tent pitchers, RV travellers and a few folks like me who just have the car and a sleeping bag. There's a KOA in almost every town, everywhere and they offer all the necessary facilities like euphemisms, showers, laundries, water and dumpsters, plus many highly desirable frivolities like free wireless Internet, swimming pools, playgrounds for the kiddies, outdoor cooking facilities and a general store.




I spent the night in a KOA Kabin. It was a kute, kosy, komfy and kwite inexpensive choice that I am sure I will repeat in other towns that don't have hostels. In fact, I am a KOA Konvert. I already have my KOA Value Kard.



The kabins have berths for four: a double bed and two bunks. If there were two or more of me travelling together, it would actually be cheaper than hostel dorm beds.





There are handy pegs on the walls, aircon, windows, a little table and chair, garbage bin, dustpan and brush, plus my own private porch and grill. There are also plenty of power points and the wireless Internet comes through loud and clear. The showers and toilets were clean, pleasant and close by, and the staff at the Bismarck KOA were the very soul of friendliness and helpfulness.




I also felt very safe. Check out the security on this door! It was hard enough for me to get in that I didn't feel any concern about intruders of the animal or human variety.

Two thumbs up. KOA is kool.

1 comment:

Freedom said...

Well Heather, you reap is what you sow (I hope you are enjoying the harvest). People in ND are as friendly as anywhere, but I have the feeling you bring out the best in people. Have a great adventure.

RT