Wednesday 22 August 2007

North Dakota - Sakakawea Trail

Well rested from my KOA kabin experience, I set out north from Bismarck to travel the Sakakawea Trail scenic drive as advertised by my National Geographic guidebook. I found my way to the town of Washburn, where the drive starts. In my case, it started by driving around the town six times looking for and failing to find the first attraction listed in my book.


Fort Mandan sounds like a fascinating place and, if you're ever in the area, I suggest that you try to find it yourself and send me some photographs. It definitely does exist. I found references to it at other attractions along the way and there is plenty on the Internet. Thelma had never heard of it and I couldn't find any signs so eventually I gave up.

The site commemorates the 1804-05 winter camp of Lewis and Clark and includes "A reproduction of the wooden fort the explorers stayed in on their way up the Missouri." Sakakawea, for whom this scenic drive is named, was the bird woman who guided the expedition to the Pacific Coast. She gave birth to a son here.


Although failing to find the site that gave the drive its name was an inauspicious start, I did enjoy the drive. Much of the route rambles through farmlands of freshly mown hay. Several baling machines were at work as I rolled by. Even the grass by the shoulder of the road is harvested.


Power stations in the distance, beyond grassy fields of hay, are typical of the views on this drive. There's lignite coal in them thar ... flat plains. Mining towns like Hazen and Beulah fuel the power plants.



There are also extensive fields of sunflowers that make for charming company and an absurd number of photo stops.


Through it all the Missouri River winds its sluggish way through the landscape towards the Mississippi.

No comments: