Tuesday 14 August 2007

Going-to-the-sun-road vistas

The reason that everyone goes to the Going-to-the-sun road is to appreciate the amazing views that this path through the mountains affords. Unfortunately, the smoke from the fires did tend to rather obscure the kind of epic views for which the road is, no doubt justifiably, famous.



To console myself at having missed out on so much, I bought a packet of mini photo prints from the visitor's centre and held them up at key locations on the drive. It was a surprisingly satisfactory substitute for the real thing, although other tourists did start to look at me rather strangely.


This photo gives some suggestion of the multiple climates in Glacier National Park. There is the heavily wooded lowlands and lake areas of the West side, then the sub-alpine and alpine areas of the park at higher altitude, above the treeline. Most of the Glaciers that sculpted Glacier National Park are long since gone, but the hard work they did chiseling the skyline remains.

The closer I could get to the object, the clearer the view became. I could offer you lots of excellent photographs of single rocks, but I'm sure that wouldn't be very interesting for either of us.



You'll just have to make your own trip to Glacier National Park, preferably when it isn't ablaze, and take your own pictures ... and email them to me.

No comments: