Saturday 11 August 2007

Forks - quintessential Pacific Northwest logging town

My National Geographic guidebook describes Forks as "a quintessential Pacific Northwest logging town, where locals favor "hickory"shirts and pickup trucks." I'm not sure what I expected from that description, but Forks looked like most of the towns here. It had timber houses, strange, flat, featureless roofs and an enormous number of power lines and traffic light cables - a typical American town.




It also had an auto mechanic. B&P Auto Repair was the one Thelma directed me to, and it was a good thing she did.



This is Shane. He listened to my sad story, spent a good 20 minutes crawling around under the cream puff, first to investigate the situation, and then to attach cable ties and secure the loose cord. When he emerged I asked him how much I owed him for the check up, tidy up and professional reassurance. He said "Enjoy your vacation."

I tried to insist. He was the more stubborn. Thank you Shane. I have been enjoying my vacation, and honouring your generosity with my enjoyment. Anyone who ever needs a mechanic in Forks should go to B&P Auto Repair. They're good people who helped me on my journey.

I suspect that many "quintessential Pacific Northwest logging towns" do not enjoy the glorious lake views available just north of Forks. But if the positive experience I had in Forks is truly quintessential then they certainly deserve them.



The cream puff having been declared fit, I rolled on around the peninsula.

No comments: